Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pies-R-Us

In honor of Pi Day I am indulging in an ode to pies. I LOVE baking pies. Unfortunately I love eating pies as well so they don't make an appearance in my kitchen often. Many people seem to be intimidated of the pie-making process, which I attribute largely to the crust portion of the ordeal. Homemade pie crust is one of the best things in the world, so if you have the time, go for it instead of going with the store-bought crust. After all, it doesn't really matter how perfect your pie looks - it matters how it tastes! Below is my tried and true pie crust recipe. (Which by my I mean my mother's, and by mother's I mean whoever she took it from. Ah the glory of family recipes!) Baking may be difficult at time but I'm a big believer in instructions. If you follow the recipe it will turn out. If you don't it may not. And that is why my husband isn't allowed to bake. Well, the lack of instruction-following attitude and his tendency to throw in random ingredients. He once made me a dirty orange martini - don't ask.

If you want a delicious tasting pie but need to know it will actually be delicious and won't take an entire day to bake check out Real Simple. Like many women I believe Real Simple has an answer for everything. And for you more adventurous bakers look to Tasting Table for inspiration. This savory spin on an apple pie may make me lift my pie ban in our kitchen.

Or if you don't want an entire pie jump on the pie pop bandwagon. You can buy a pie pop maker or try making them by hand. Here are some great tips and and a yummy recipe courtesy of South By San Francisco.

The Apple Pi

And for those who hoped for something related to math or general geekery on this fine holiday - I'm sorry. That is just not my forte. But here is a joke courtesy of my husband:
What do you get when you cut a jack o'lantern by its diameter? A pumpkin pi!

Pie Crust:
2 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shortening
1/3 cup ice cold water


Combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resemble coarse crumbs. Stir in water until mixture forms a ball. Divide dough in half, and shape into balls. Wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Roll out on a floured counter and use as directed in pie recipe. 

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummmy. The America Test Kitchen Recipe is pretty good, but a lot of steps and uses vodka and ice water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried a pie crust which uses vodka but it sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete